Thursday, February 25, 2010

Iron Girl Triathlon Training

Those who know me, know that I tend to get chilled rather easily. So it's no surprise that I took a break from triathlon training for the cold months. That break is over. It's not warm enough on the streets for regular biking, but Jason and I both need the extra time in the pool. If I had any doubt about it, our first swim proved the right of it.

Jason is a good swimmer. He knows how to swim. He's comfortable in the pool. But swimming long distance is different than messing around in the pool. It takes a few dips before you can breath comfortably at a steady pace.

It took me three swims my first year to get my stroke back. I thought that would be enough. But it didn't prepare me for the lake swim. I knew the visibility would bad, but knowing and experiencing are two different things. I wasn't expecting difficulties with the currents or the other swimmers.

Last year, I knew what to expect. I swam religiously every week with the group swim. I felt much more confident in my swim. The currents pushed me a bit, but I corrected my trajectory and stayed mostly on course. Although there were about a hundred more swimmers in my wave, I managed to navigate them with only a few incidents. All and all, I managed to shave over a minute off my time. Practice really made a difference.

This year, I'm hoping to shave another minute off my time. Which is another reason I wanted to start swimming so early in the year. So far, we're both off to a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment