Saturday, August 08, 2009

Dresden Files

Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. If you know who that is, I really don't need to say anything else. If you don't, then you should be reading the Dresden Files novels. I love these books and I'm not alone.

The books are written in first person, so we quickly get to know the main character,... intimately. Dresden is awesome. I like so much about this damaged good guy,... scruffy but handsome,... masterful smart ass,... and from the get-go, he's powerful, knowledgeable and competent.

The first three books have a different story model than the later books. The first books have a tenuous thread connecting them, that is, outside the characters and the world setting. Mostly, they are stand alone books.

The later book, on the other hand, have an ongoing plot that weaves through each installment. Each climax pulls us progressively deeper into the conspiracy.

This setup means that the end of each book leaves a few key questions unanswered. The natural result was me at the bookstore door at 9:00 am on 04/07/2009 for the release of the last book. (I asked. They wouldn't let me buy it at midnight the night before.) This also means that I'll be at the bookstore as early as possible with cash in hand (or at least a credit card) on 04/06/2010 for the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment