Monday, September 21, 2009

Culture Diversity Class

I began this class with a few preconceptions. I assumed the class would focus on at least a few different cultures, maybe even discuss the key elements that are similar as well as where the cultures diverge. I was wrong.

The class focused on how Black Americana students learn differently than their white counterparts. What? My first reaction was to protest. Biology is the same regardless of race. As the class progressed, it became clear that the teacher used the class as an opportunity to push his agenda. He did manage to bring culture into the equation. His argument is that young Black Americana's have a culture against learning. To counter that attitude, teachers should amend their methods. Of course, from my view, the methods suggested would be applicable to all races, so I fail to see the need to resort to racial division.

But that wasn't my biggest shock. One day after class, I approached the teacher to clarify details about the final. The response was basically why worry about it, since I knew I was going to get an "A". In addition, the teacher frequently mentioned that this was a low level survey class. It is incredibly difficult to take a class seriously, when the teacher doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment