Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Non-Traditional Student

For years I've been saying I'll go back to college... when I can,... when the opportunity arises,... when it is convenient. Excuses. I knew it. Everyone else knew it.

Well, I finally did it. I returned Spring 2009 at Columbus State University. I've known for years that continuing with a Mathematic major would be useless. As much as I enjoy math, it isn't a career path for me. After discussions with an advisor, I found out that CSU will be offering an English: Creative Writing degree (though not until Fall 2010). So, I changed majors to English.

My first class was Introduction to Fiction. It was amazing. I learned a great deal about critical analysis of literature. I also realized that some of the fresh out of high school students are not inclined to actually study. They seemed offended that they would be expected to work for an "A". Indeed, many habitually came to class ill prepared. And that was just reading the assigned stories. Regardless of the lack of interest shown by the other students, the teacher lead many enjoyable discussions. At least I enjoyed them. And I'm looking forward to more.

No comments:

Post a Comment